WXTide32 release history
Version 4.7 2007/2/25
- Changed: Implemented new U.S. timezones.
- Changed: Multiple pop-ups when config file not writable. Now only 2 show.
- Fixed: Tooltray icon showed incorrect time to next tide when using mark level.
Version 4.6 2006/6/30
- Fixed: Crash if User Station menu opened before Location menu.
- Fixed: Stations with '#' in name would not load when program restarted.
- Changed: Setup checks if WXTide32 is running before attempting install.
- Added: Version info data to executable file.
Version 4.5 2006/3/9
- Fixed: Calendar text output aborts if weekday option is set
- Fixed: Moon phase graphics for 1st and 3rd phases are backwards in Southern Hemisphere
- Fixed: If map window left side moved off left of screen, cursor does not center on click
- Fixed: Ships Bells time improperly handled DST
Version 4.4 2006/2/27
- New Date sequence selection on system preferences y-m-d/m-d-y (-datemdy switch).
- New Station map dots have different selectable colors for tide and current station.
- New Station map saves last zoom factor and centers on initial station (-mapmpy switch).
- Added: PATCHTZ keyword added to index file supports user changes to timezone rules.
- Added: Weekday name display option to mode-specific preferences (-weekday switch).
- Fixed: Setup program fails to run install script on some systems.
- Fixed: Remove user station does not clear offsets and causes extra save.
- Fixed: User station action remove could not be unchecked.
- Fixed: Graph mode Home key does not always reset display to present time.
- Fixed: Index files were left open after use.
- Fixed: un-Implemented new U.S. daylight savings time rules - starts 2007, NOT 2006!
- Changed: Graph mode Alt-G selects date picker, Alt-N selects present time.
- Changed: Added T/C character to type field of station list (-list) output.
- Changed: Faster sequencing when changing full screen window modes.
- Changed: Starting multiple instance now restores previous window size.
- Changed: Reduced number of timer calls for Station map popups.
- Changed: Smarter rounding of Lon/Lat display strings.
- Changed: Cleaned up Preferences dialog.
- Changed: Text tide header reference stations longer than 80 characters display on 2 lines.
- Changed: Reference "Ostrov Toporkova, Kuril Islands, Russia" to "Ostrov Matua, Kurile Islands".
- Changed: Reference "Cuxhaven, Germany" to "Cuxhaven, Steubenhöft, Germany".
- Changed: Station "Guam" from separate country list to Marianas.
- Changed: Removed lots of unused country entries.
- Changed: Etc/GMT timezones reversed offset sign to make POSIX compliant and more intuitive.
- Changed: Station list (-list) now works without index file.
Version 4.3 2005/12/27
- New Preferences menu reorganized into tabbed interface.
- Fixed: Subordinate current stations were not indexed correctly.
- Fixed: Subordinate stations with "unknown" offsets sometimes caused a crash.
- Fixed: Cannot start program under Win95 - replaced TrackMouseEvent with timer.
- Fixed: Printer fonts for text window output were not always fixed pitch.
- Fixed: Starting program minimized in graph mode caused assert failure.
- Fixed: Changing modes while minimized or maximized lost windows parameters.
- Added: Change icon style from tooltray icon right click menu.
- Added: Help FAQ to the main help menu.
- Added: Can play user-installed ship bells sounds on the 1/2 hour (1bells.wav..8bells.wav)
- Changed: Changing modes from icon now restores display window.
- Changed: Maximizing one display mode now applies to all display modes.
- Changed: Moved UTC time display option from per-mode to global.
- Changed: Hairy display mode renamed Realtime mode to be more intuitive.
- Changed: Menus and hotkeys were reorganized.
- Changed: Implemented new U.S. daylight savings time rules.
- Fixed: Corrected Dave Flater's name in the help file FAQ.
Version 4.2 2005/07/22
TCD and libtcb limitations for WXTide32:
1) Writing to the TCD file is not supported.
2) Prediction spans are limited to 1970-2038.
3) Slack current time offsets are ignored.
4) No support for displaying restriction, comments, or notes text.
5) If present, Legalese text pops up when station is selected.
- New: Support for binary TCD files using
XTide libtcd version 2.0. See limitations above.
- New: Support for user-installed
World Vector Shoreline (WVS) map files
- New: Station name pop up on mouse hover over point on Station map (-mapcues switch)
- Changed: Constituent file Harmonic replaced with TCD file harmonics-2004-06-14.tcd
- Changed: Harmonic.msc renamed Harm_msc to avoid "Insert Disk" installer problems
- Added: Exclude non-TCD files option on Station Locator window (-onlytcd switch)
- Added: Switch to control Station Map grid lines with WVS map files (-mapgrid switch)
- Added: Ability to turn off most all true/false switches on command line (-switch 0)
- Added: F1 help key functionality to the Station Map
- Changed: Titles of the Station Locator and Station Map windows
- Changed: Station list region selections have been consolidated
- Changed: The -list switch now lists all stations in the index file either in D.dd or D MMmm format
- Changed: The -listtz switch has been removed
- Changed: Increased resolution of Lon/Lat display and entry to 4 decimal digits
- Changed: Turn off Sort Nearest when cancel out of Station Locator menu
- Changed: Default configuration file settings to fit KISS principle
- Changed: Using freeware
http://7-zip.org program to compress files saved 120k bytes
Version 4.1 2005/06/17
Note about version 4.1: Secondary station processing has undergone a
rewrite so that level multipliers and level offsets are more accurately applied.
While the new algorithm is more robust, it is slightly slower than the
original. To revert to the older method, start the program just once with the
switch -subproc 0 on the command line, then save the configuration.
- New Export graphics window to BMP (-bmp switch).
- New ESCape key action can be defined to exit or minimize (-onesc switch).
- New Animated tooltray icon shows current state of tide (-tooltray and -iconstyle switches).
- New -csv switch to generate spreadsheet output for -text and -incremental.
- New Secondary station algorithm to better apply corrections (-subproc switch).
- Fixed: Program occasionally exits on error with no error message.
- Fixed: -config command line switch does not read specified config file.
- Fixed: Hydraulic currents display improperly after mode change.
- Fixed: Command line switches do not attach to correct display mode.
- Fixed: When program closed while minimized, garbage dimensions are saved.
- Fixed: Crash when no userfile and program path not same as data file path.
- Fixed: Fails to write a default config file if none found on startup.
- Fixed: Crash when window height changed to 0 and not minimized.
- Fixed: Program aborts with secondary station after numerous mode changes.
- Fixed: Calendar Historical amplitude is computed incorrectly for secondary stations.
- Fixed: New moon icon has extra black pixels on right border.
- Added: Popup Info box before exit if text output commanded and not redirected.
- Added: Secondary station text output shows reference station and offsets.
- Added: -textascii switch to remove confusion with -graph and -text.
- Added: Error message if Date Picker control does not start (comctl32.dll 4.70+).
- Added: Clock and hairy modes now update synchronized to system minute change.
- Added: Option to only allow one instance of the program (-onlyone switch).
- Changed: Made -text, -textascii, -calen, and -incremental mutually exclusive.
- Changed: Help description did not match program use of -incremental switch.
- Changed: Help file command line switch descriptions reorganized.
- Changed: -help switch list to include new, and remove obsolete switches.
- Changed: Removed -geometry and -ppm command line switches.
- Changed: Removed "Graph" from window title when starting in graph mode.
- Changed: Calendar header text Historical to Predicted historical.
- Changed: Text tide value resolution changed from hundredths to tenths.
- Changed: Moved main menu Load Config... and Save As... to new Legacy config submenu.
- Changed: The -autosave option is now immediate and not delayed until exit.
Version 4.0 2004/01/30
- Fixed: Crash when selecting invalid numbered recent station entry.
- Fixed: Hang when starting program with no wxtide32.cfg file.
- Fixed: Data files only useable when in program folder.
- Fixed: Crash when starting program with no harmonic.idx file.
- Fixed: Crash with no error message when internal failure occurs.
- New User Station Manager supports an unlimited number of user
entered subordinate tide and current stations. All station data are
supported including sort region, position and timezone.
- Added: Station index types 'U' and 'u' for user tide and current stations.
- Added: Optional subordinate station line field for timezone name.
- Changed: Location dialog to support display select of user stations.
- Fixed: Moon phase white face displayed backwards.
- Changed: -tz command line option offset now limited to less than 24 hours.
- Updated Harmonic to 2004/01/01 version
data file with 44 new reference stations for England, Ireland and Scotland.
- Fixed: The last reference station of a harmonic file would not load.
- New -nearest command line option starts with the nearest station
to a given Longitude and Latitude..
- Added: Email support to Help menu.
- Lots of clean up and small bug fixes.
Version 3.1 2003/01/20
- This release fixes an error that caused version 3.0 to crash under certain
conditions. Oops. Sorry about that folks!
- Rewrote the help sections for FAQ and main modes description.
Version 3.0 2003/01/12
- Note: The configuration layout has changed. Existing
configuration files will update automatically when saved the first time.
- New individually saved options for each mode including what is
shown, how it is shown, and the window size and position.
- New Overview mode (a decluttered and squeezed graph mode) gives
visual tide overview; a 1000 pixel wide window shows 2 weeks of tides
- New graph mode display declutter options:
- Alternate high/low tide times (-stagger),
- Float alternate tide times on tide line (-staggerfloat),
- Show 1 date per day (-onedate).
- New option to hide graph mode depth lines, or show behind
(-depthlines), or on top (-toplines) of graph.
- New option to disable all depth and time marks (-nolines).
- Preferences menu has been reorganized and condensed.
- Colors menu has been condensed.
- Corrected error toggling between fixed and local timezones.
- New keyboard accelerators that use single keys same as File menu.
- Corrected a really insidious problem with long custom station names.
- Corrected a problem changing from subordinate to reference station.
- Corrected Clock mode showing wrong background color.
- Changed Calendar header.
- Changed window position validate logic to work better.
- Changed config file write of file names relative to program folder.
- New Text Tide Options menu separate from graphics preferences.
- New multiple months for calendar output (-nummonths).
- New calendar Date Picker control for text tides and graph mode start.
- Added keyboard Alt-G and Alt-N to select Date Picker from graph mode.
- New Caption display with station name option (-caption).
- Changed main graphic window text logic to account for font size.
- Increased text tide output buffer size to 65,000 bytes.
- Added Cancel option to exit save message.
- Added center on crosshair time when switching from overview to graph with
Version 2.9 2002/11/20
- Corrected two timezone rule processing errors that caused some single
timezone (no DST) and absolute day of year (J type) timezones to show
incorrect converted times.
- Recorrected the version 2.7 correction that removed duplicate subreg.40
- Timezones with fixed offsets now display as timezone name: UTC+n.
Version 2.8 2002/10/09
- Updated Harmonic to 2002/09/12
XTide data file.
- Corrected index reference station assignments for Acapulco, Adelade and
Gibraltar. This should restore the Mediterranean stations that were lost in
- New Timezone rule parser and handlers to support remote timezones.
- New option to display tides in any timezone the program knows of with
extensive changes to Preferences and Custom Station menus to support that
- New Subordinate stations now display in their meridian UTC timezone when
using Remote Station timezone (-loctz) option.
- New Most Recently Used (MRU) history with new -maxmru command line
- New Crosshair display.
- Left and Right Arrow keys display and move the crosshair -increment in
time (default 1 hour).
- Ctl-Left/Right moves 1 tide.
- Crosshair hides with Esc.
- In Graph mode, display scrolls to keep crosshair in view.
- New Home key now centers Graph mode display to current time (Now).
- Changed station information "timezone" to "Meridian" which is more
- Updated my email address in the readme and help files.
- Changed main menu name "Options" to "File".
- Changed main menu item "Colors..." to "Colors & Fonts...".
- Fixed the correction to put the station name on text outputs.
- Changed calendar output to include year and the month's highest/lowest
values in header.
- Corrected custom station level offset errors across config save and load.
- Removed user access to the -keepindex option and made it's operation
Version 2.7 2002/02/20
- Added "Visit WXTide32.com" to help menu.
- Modified About box to include WXTide32.com base web site.
- Added -append command line switch to include "- WXTide32" in window name.
- Corrected some variables that were miss-cast and gave LCC compiler warnings.
- Corrected initial graphic window size validation to include full screen.
- Because of UKHO copyright notice, tidal data will no longer be provided for
England, Ireland or Scotland.
- Updated Harmonic to 2001/09/21
data replacing Admiralty, Japan and Alaska sets.
- Added Harmonic.msc with 91 additional stations with (I believe) historically
clear copyright pedigrees.
- Corrections to Tide2idx station index builder and control file.
- Found that Tide24 subreg.40 and 42 are identical so deleted subreg.40 from index.
- Added FAQ section to help file.
- Corrected a subordinate to reference station bug in Loclib.c.
- Removed code for Java since web applet is no longer available.
Version 2.6 2000/01/20
- Fixed tiny graphics print in Win95! Finally!!!!!!!
- Added Japanese harmonics data set from XTide site to index file.
- Added active links to help file.
Version 2.5 1999/09/16
At last! It took far too long but everything finally came together to get
some of these nagging bugs fixed. Many thanks to Jacob Navia for finding and fixing
a really nasty optimization error in his excellent FREE
C compiler and IDE.
- Corrected a bug in calendar output that caused missing final tides
for all days of some weeks.
- Corrected wrong moon phase occasionally showing in text tide output.
- Corrected "Missing Year" error when starting with HARMONIC.CAN data set.
- Change to skip interactive station selection if -textfile and
-nowarn are both set.
- Changed help file format to use a Word 97 help assistant.
- Changed program icon to remove unneeded images that now works with Win98.
- Submitted wxtide25.zip to
Simtel.Net in the Win95/98 Science section. With servers world-wide, you
should find one near you.
Version 2.4 1998/09/10
- Corrected hairy mode occasionally showing previous, not next tides.
- Added incremental text tide output with increment in minutes
specified on Preferences menu. Uses "NumDays" for duration.
- Added "-incremental [minutes]" command line switch for above.
- Full program ZIP file now has a small Setup.exe for auto-install.
- Changed default WXTide32.cfg file to set better default options.
- Corrected pop-up always using left justify and added border to box.
- Corrected graph mode time jump with -now and time scroll bar.
- Added auto time increments based on stretch factor.
- Height units are now removed when -skinny is active.
- Added minimize and maximize controls to Text Tide window.
- Added font selection to Color Menu for main and text window fonts.
- Added "Loading station index..." busy box.
- Added Location menu logic so that when a Region, Country, or State
is selected, incompatible entries in the other 2 will disable.
- Corrected many timezones not showing correct DST (I hope).
- Changed Print graph to maintain graph window aspect ratio and added
a title line with the date printed and the station name.
- Changed Text tides window to not wrap text and added horizontal scroll
- Added full version download with a tiny (13K) Setup from this site.
Version 2.3 1998/08/12
- Corrected location map not centering on clicked point.
- Changed -location param to allow optional type code for exact match.
- Location map on/off is now saved in configuration file.
- New "-textfile filename" commandline switch to redirect text window
contents to disk file. Include -nowarn to inhibit message box.
- Moved Quebec (Canada) harmonic data set to top of index file since a
knowledgeable source reports that data is much more accurate.
- Changed Tide2idx.exe to omit subordinate stations on the St. Lawrence
River for same reason as above.
- Changed Lele Harbor, Kusale Isl, from Carolina Isls to Micronesia.
- Added Canadian harmonics data set from XTide site to index file. Still
unsorted for Region:State and defaults to Canada for now.
- Changed tide calendar format to enhance readability and added moon phase
change codes at the dates they occur.
Version 2.2 1998/06/20
- Corrected -gstretch option save.
- Converted source to compile using the freeware LCC compiler system. You
can pick up a free copy at:
- Lots of minor clean-up to source.
- Updated Harmonic data file to 1998/06/01 from the XTide site.
- Updated Quebec harmonic data set to 1998/05/18 version.
- Corrected change in moon phase not showing on first day of daily tides.
- Added Scroll Bar time set to Graph mode! Scroll time by 1 Hour, 1 Screen,
or drag the thumb to any date in the data base.
- Added option on Preferences menu to enable Scroll Bar time.
- Changed Graph mode display to use rising/falling tide colors like Hairy
- Added option on Preferences menu to enable remote timezone display since
the LCC compiler handles timezones much better.
Version 2.1 1998/03/27
- Added moonrise/set times to pop-up menu and (optional) Daily Tides.
- Added "Show sun/moon data in Daily Tides" option to Preferences menu.
- Renamed "List Tides" to "Daily Tides".
- Corrected auto-conversions not always changing before restart.
- Corrected conversion of level offsets from feet to meters not being
applied when reference station data was in meters.
- Corrected an extra tide being appended to last day on Daily Tides.
- Put "Print Graph" back in due to popular demand.
- Corrected "Print Graph" double image problem.
- More corrections to mark level processing for subordinate stations.
- Added mark crossing time ticks to Hairy mode display.
- Enhanced Drag-and-Drop file name expansion.
- Added Revision history to help file.
Version 2.0 1998/03/18
This is a major release with lots of changes "under the hood" in the tidal
prediction engine, much better Region/Country/State parsing and, as always,
some bug corrections. Because of all these changes, please report any
problems via the Contact page. I
have tested this version every way I can think of but am still a bit
NOTE: The Index file format for subordinate stations has been changed
to support the definition of both level multipliers and offsets for the
same tide. Version 2.0 will not work with index files from previous
versions unless you are only using reference stations.
- Corrected tide prediction mark processing for subordinate stations. This
should clean up slack water and mark crossings not always showing the correct
time when unequal offsets are in effect.
- Cleaned up hairy display of currents so background paints correctly.
- Removed List Switches menu item since they are now in on-line help.
- Added line graphs switch (-nofill) to Preferences menu.
- Added conversion of special characters that are used in some German
- Corrected manual entry of Lat/Lon on the Location menu.
- Corrected Tide2Idx converting wrong substation Lat/Lon occasionally.
- Corrected and added several index reference station assignments.
- Added auto-correction of many bad subordinate timezones and Lat/Lon. A
new section has been added to Tide2Idx.CTL to handle all the typos I've
found in the subordinate station data.
- Many changes to Tide2Idx. Region/Country/State parsing is now much better
but still has a ways to go.
- Updated help file.
- Separated level multipliers and offsets so BOTH can now be
defined. This was a biggie and needed changes to the tidal prediction
engine and Tide2Idx.
- Added an alternate form to -hloff and -lloff tide level switches:
-lloff [*|x]multiplier [-]offset (either or both, in any order)
- Index now includes 361 new subordinate stations with both level
multipliers and offsets that previously could not be used.
- The index file has been streamlined with extraneous zeros (and sometimes,
decimal points) removed so that the file is smaller and loads faster.
- Where subordinate stations have unknown offsets, the program now tries to
use the opposite tide value (if valid) rather than setting the unknown to 0.
Version 1.3 1998/03/10
- Added online-help! (I hope it was worth all that typing)
- Added Quebec harmonic data set of 39 stations on the St-Lawrence river
using use 69 constituents.
- Made Save menu option grey out when no changes have been made.
- Corrected Print Text Tides menu entry occasionally not un-graying.
- Cleaned up message boxes.
- Location menu now remembers if map was active last time location menu was
- Full self extracting version of the program (available from
now auto-installs and makes a WXTide32 start folder. In case of trouble, you
can still unzip manually using WinZip or PKUNZIP.
New on 1998/03/01:
Added a new location for downloading the latest version of WXTide32 to the
Download page. Our dock-neighbor (yes, our home is the sailing vessel
has graciously provided FTP space for the
full, self-extracting version of the program at
ShipsStore.com (nautical accesories
and boat supplies). This download is now FTP so it should be fast and easy.
Version 1.21 1998/02/26
- Corrected sun rise/set picking up wrong day occasionally.
- Corrected "changed parameters" detection so that prompt to save
parameters is smarter.
- Corrected custom station offsets not saving when high and low offsets
(time or level or multiplier) were identical.
- Removed "Save windows with configuration" switch since that
was only for testing and was not supposed to be in the released version.
- Revamped Prefrences menu (again) to fit on 640x480 displays.
- Added ability to have config file as first command line parameter with
extra switches. Previously, if a config file name was passed as the first
parameter, then no additional switches could be specified.
- Added -numdays switch (Preferences menu).
- Split program zip file on the download page into program and source files
to reduce file size.
Version 1.2 1998/02/20
- Automatic conversion of knots^2 to knots (enabled by a new switch on the
flags menu). This is for those of you who wanted more human readable
outputs for those stations with hydraulic currents.
- Configuration save and load! Saves all program switches and optionally,
the size and position of the main, text, and location map windows. You can
use long descriptive names with embedded spaces for all configuration file
- Custom station entry by menu. Lets you set up all the data for
your local station (as long as you know the offsets from a given
reference station). No more cryptic switches to set up custom stations.
- Drag-and-Drop. Just drag a *.wxt or *.cfg file onto a
WXTide32 icon and it will start with the options configured in that file.
- Print Text Tides window data directly from the main menu.
- Cleaned up more focus problems.
- Renamed and reorganized the Preferences menu.
- Auto-save changed settings option will save all settings and options to
the current configuration file on program exit.
- Save window positions and sizes when saving configuration option.
- Options to convert units to feet or meters.
- The -gstretch option can now be changed interactively.
- Moon phase can now be shown on graphics screens.
- Disabled OFFSETSTEXTONLY abort.
- More friendly auto-start of Location select menu if WXTide32 is started
with an invalid station name.
- Separated Background color into Day and Night backgrounds to give a more
visual indication of day boundaries.
- Slight format changes to text tides and calendar output.
- Added a pop-up information block when a mouse button is clicked inside
the main graphics screen showing tidal and astronomical data at the time
under the mouse pointer.
- Corrected "Start date.." option to begin at midnight on date selected.
Version 1.1 1998/02/10
- Started using version numbers. I'm making the current version 1.1 just so
everybody knows that this isn't the first release.
- Fixed "-units" command line switch.
- Made "-location" name on command line case insensitive. Also made any
trailing (T), (C) or (t) find the nearest match.
- Removed "Print" from the main menu since it doesn't work well (yet).
- Corrected day-of-week display for subordinate stations on text tides
- Added feet/meters selection with auto conversion to the Flags menu.
- Added "List Switches" to main menu for a handy quick reference.
- Added "-custname" switch so custom locations can be named.
NOTE: this only has an effect if custom station offsets are active which
means you have specified -hloff -htoff -lloff and/or -ltoff (with the
appropriate parameters) in the command line.
- Added Help->About pulldown menu to make it easier to get the current
- Cleaned up several window focus problems.
- Changed copyright assignee to my name (oops).
- Included newest 1998/02/08 harmonic data file from Dave Flater's XTide
- Reduced default "-graph" mode width to 640 (was 960).
- Corrected error where changing from current station to tidal station did
not change to levels from currents.
- Fixed Text Tide output so that current stations show slack water in all
modes, not just hairy mode.
- Added hourglass cursor while loading harmonic data.
- Added invalid switch error message (with switch encountered) on start-up.
- Changed Tide2idx.ctl to make the Baltimore reference station Baltimore
(Fort McHenry), Maryland.